Re: [orca-list] The new Hypra website

Hi,

On the English version of the website, we didn't have the time to
translate all our "thoughts" about this subjects. Let me do a small
synthesis here to discuss with you.

1. In Hypra's approach, we see computing as something which should be
usable by anyone. For this, an interface should be flexible enough to
fit the sight, the level, the age, of anyone. And especially, we would
like not to have specialized environments, so that 1) people can learn
computing when they learn with Hypra; 2) anyone with basic computing
knowledge could help the user to fix basic issues or usage problem.

2. The consequence is that we choose free software. Because it is the
most flexible utility to fit any situation. Because it let anyone
develop features for specific situations, with a modular point of view.
Thus, Orca, low-vision, are "modules" of the basic desktop environment.
Because with free software, we can avoid layout changes at any updates.
While NVDA is good, when Windows upgrades, we need to learn a new
interface. When free software updates, the interface can stay stable
(eg. gnome2 switched to gnome3 but a fork maintained gnome2).

But we want the best of free software. So we select what works and, if
people have better features for mandatory usage with proprietary
software (OCR, speech, Itunes), let's see what is possible (Mbrola,
Voxygen, Abbyy FineReader).

It results our system is pragmatic, to provide the universal access: for
a typical computer price, one has a modular computer, standards
PC-compatible (so easy to switch in PCs universe when Mac has a fully
specific approach), is assisted in any needs to get started, learns
things he can reproduce on Windows, enable a module if his/her situation
changes.
In professional environments, we provide this system as much as suitable
(it depends wether business apps have Web interface or not fkr
instance). Otherwise, we train for NVDA.

Our hope: training, support and the product guided by this philosophy
can help funding free software dev (LibreOffice, desktop design,
low-vision features via Compiz or desktop). Our solution now: getting
funds by public competitions, but I'm wondering wether foundations could
help this effort.

That's why I think we address all what is said in this thread, and we
agree with all your feedbacks. And if the community wants to help
without funding, we can see together. Just 9e rely on Debian because we
like their release process. And help would make things faster: debugging
MATE, improving Compiz, packaging mate-accessibility packages, maybe let
them in Debian.

Best regards,