Re: [orca-list] The new Hypra website

hi

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with that. That's the same logic that gets people to stick with and continue to use windows. I'd love to switch to linux but the non free stuff is just too easy. I'd be the last person to say linux is always easy, but it takes developers to close the gap. If proprietary OCR is indeed better, then we need developers to fix the open source stuff so that's no longer the case. I don't buy the common excuses taht go along with logic like this either, reasons like "it takes money to make accessibility better." Developers need to be paid, I'm not disputing that, but I just don't see the logic hear. We don't need thousands or millions of dollars to be poured into open source to make it better, we need better code. Thus, more people. Maybe that's where the money argument comes from I don't know. It seems to me that hypra is running up against the same wall I usually run up against. It seems a simple problem. Open source, open code, people will fix the problem. Instead of that happening, people like to complain about how much work it is, or how it's not fair why do they have to do all this accessibility work when they'd much rather do something else. There are developers, like joanie, who don't quibble, they just write the code. They're a minority. The rest seem to want me to give them a reason why they should do the work. Hear's your reason. Because people are disabled, they need that work done. They don't need you complaining about how it's not fair or that it's a lot of work, they need you to write the code. End of story. Not a very sympothetic outlook, but my sympothy got burned out after I had to listen to enough developers complain. It sounds like hypra wants to improve the linux experience. I'm all for that. But the way to do it is not to invite a blind industry to come in and take up residence. We do that and we'll be no different than windows or OSX. We need open source code, where companies contribute without trying to find a loophole to exploit. I'd gladly welcome companies such as freedom scientific and humanware into the open source world. So long as they cooperated with developers and played by the rules and didn't try to pull a fast one, like opening up part of their stuff but not others, supporting only certain distros, there are a thousand things they could do.
Thanks
Kendell Clark