Re: [orca-list] OT: booting paldo from a usb pendrive

Paldo does have something of a repository system, although it does have
fewer packages than most distros. Paldo's biggest strength, according
to the developers, is having a single package for each task, and for
the most part, it does this rather well. For example, Paldo has been
nearly the only distribution that runs GNOME on my old laptop from
around 2006, with the exception of Arch, which cokes sometimes, but
does indeed work.

On the other hand, I do prefer the ability to choose the packages that
I want installed for various things, and this conflicts somewhat with
Paldo's one application per task functionality. That said, I've seen
the package build system, and it's fairly simple XML. One of Paldo's
major all-around strengths seems to be the ability to install a package
in either source or binary form, depending on your upkg command line.
Installation of a package does seem to be a bit slow even for binary
installation, but the upkg system does appear to still be in active
 development, so I am expecting a trend toward speedier package
management.

Paldo's package management and repository system actually does lend
itself well to creating spin-off distros, or even separate repositories
for packages not found in the base system, although there is no
repository similar to the Arch User Repository, and nothing similar to
Ubuntu's PPA system. However, this may be a fun project for someone who
would like to see more or different packages in a distro similar to
Paldo in functionality.
Sent from my trombone