Re: [orca-list] linux notetaker (was gui)

I agree that note takers aren't dead. Just because someone doesn't see a value in them doesn't mean they aren't valuable to someone else.

I know people have also said that MP3 players are dead because they can be replaced by smart phones. Well, I still have a Booksense, and it's still my preferred way of reading audio books. I can just press a single button, any time of the day or night, no matter what else I've done in the interim, and start listening to my book right where I left off. This convenience is worth something to me.

The same is true for a note taker. When I had a Braille 'n' Speak, I loved it for the same reason I like my Booksense. I was literally just one button away from editing my file right where I left off. I no longer have a note taker, and I fill that role now between my smart phone and my laptop, but the convenience is not the same. I hate going into a meeting and then have to spend a few keystrokes pulling up an application and a file so I can start taking notes. I know this can be mitigated somewhat with different software packages, but the convenience of the Braille 'n' Speak is still worth something to me.

In other messages people have criticized note takers for running Windows CE and using older hardware, but there's no reason this has to be the case. There have been note takers running Linux and Android, and they can be built around more powerful hardware. The advantage to a note taker though is not to spend money on hardware performance that isn't necessary. Netbooks were popular in their day because they were inexpensive hardware but yet still powerful enough to get the job done. I see no reason a note taker couldn't be built around Linux and Orca.