[orca-list] Accessibility of Open/Libre Office VS MS Office (was Government payed assistive technologies)

Hi,
reading is one thing (and is mostly accessible), but the composing of
documents is the bigger problem. I rarely have to use those programs
myself and never do a complex formatting, but most of the complaints
that I hear are from that direction.
It feels like the Open/Libre office developers are not very serious
regarding accessibility. And delaying it don't make things easier.
You're right though, that under Linux it's much better compaired to Windows.

But make no mistake - Open/Libre Office is one of the greatest successes
of the open source community and most of the complaints of the sighted
people are total BS.

Best wishes,
Zahari

На  4.09.2015 в 03:34, kendell clark написа:
hi
Zahari has a point. Ms does in fact, or used to at any rate, make
different pieces of software, works for example, that cannot use their
own format, instead using another format entirely. I don't find
libreoffice accessibility to be behind microsoft office, but I'm a
little bias, as I've not used ms office since ... oh, version 2003 I
think might have been the latest I used. On windows, libre office
accessibility is hit and miss, but on linux it usually works out of the
box, although I wish orca didn't default to reading an entire
spreadsheet row, causing orca to echo the entire line when you up and
down arrow. That's a nit though, and it's easily fixed. Reading entire
rows is usually incredibly useful, it's only in libreoffice calc that
it's not always useful, but the "soffice" binary is such that joanie
can't have different prefs for the different parts of libre office.
libre office is called soffice, whether you're running calc, writer,
impress, etc so there's no way for orca to tell
thanks
Kendell clark