Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

Exactly...
Just to be clear I am not expecting people to read the orca manual from start to finish before using the
program, but as CJ says, any screenreader
requires one to learn a few key strokes, at least how to start and or restart it and how to access
prefference/ configuration menus.

There is a valid point in saying that it is relatively mpre complex to open global settings center for the
OS/desktop and navigate to a given item
compared to using a single keyboard shortcut to open configuration menus. I assume a keyboard shortcut would
be included by default that would open the
orca prefs menu(s), no matter what form this or these take, so in most cases this is all accidemic.
Again, what is not academic is how the relatively small minority of us who do not normally use  off the shelf
desktops would be able to use orca. How
much extra infrastructure would we have to include just to be able to interact with orca prefs?
The other question is portability. As it is we have a directory where our orca settings are easy to see.
Where would the actual schemas and keys live?
Forgive my ignorance/maybe there are reasonably simnple solutions to resolve the issues I   bring up, but my
first take is that more poeple would be
hurt than helped by doing away with orca's ability to stand alone in the sense being discussed.
I'mn not sure what changes to the UI people have in mind, but I'll only say as I'm certainly n favor of
change that improves efficiency, but change for
change's sake, or to "modernize" just because, is not going gto win many fans.
What are the areas that bother people, or what do people think could or should be improved in the interface?
I can think of other ways to organize the
interaction with orca prefs, but a quick analysis does  not make me think changes are likely to improve
things much. I'm always ready to be surprised
and or proved wrong however, so bring on UI redesign ideas, but don't make it so I have to use gnome, or
gnomeor mate or else not use orca, please.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Christopher Chaltain wrote:
Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 07:00:05AM -0500

I haven't been following this thread, but the post below either confuses me
or I just don't agree. I can't think of a single screen reader where you
don't need to know at least one key stroke before starting, such as how to
bring up the preferences. You either have to know that key stroke or be
familiar enough with the operating system to know how to get into the
preferences for an application, which I think is what the post below is
disagreeing with.

Either way, it's an overly simplistic attitude to say that expecting someone
to read some information about an application before using it is the reason
so many people are put off by Linux.