Re: [orca-list] Gnuspeech

Hi,

As near as I can figure out on a Ubuntu 15.04 system, the total installed size with espeak, libespeak1, libespeak-dev, libespeak-dbg and espeak-data is 3248 KB. However, that doesn't include any other necessary audio libraries such as Pulse or Portaudio. Gnuspeech, also including the shared library, development headers, data and binaries works out to 3.8 MB, but doesn't need any extra audio libraries because it writes to a .wav file. Not being a programmer, I have no idea if Speech Dispatcher could interface with the shared library to generate speech or if a .wav file would have to be written every time a phrase is to be spoken. Also, Gnuspeech only has a single English voice while ESpeak has several, but the Espeak data files must be compiled while the Gnuspeech data is in plain text, can be modified with any text editor and doesn't need to be compiled. Finally, I'm not including the GUI for either package because the Gnuspeech GUI only runs on Mac OS X and neither package requires a GUI to generate speech. The Debian packages for ESpeak have a DFSG suffix, meaning that some components of ESpeak are missing from the Debian packages. I don't know what those are or how big. Similarly, I'm not including the documentation. Overall, the total installed size of both is about the same, but I think Gnuspeech is more configurable with less effort. If you don't count the data files, Gnuspeech is definitely much smaller; less than 1 MB compiles, but the pronounciation is really bad. It's the dictionary which provides the excellent pronounciation at such a small size.