Re: [orca-list] Gnuspeech

Hi Tony,

I am the project admin for the GNU project "gnuspeech" which was originally developed by a U of Calgary spin-off company I started with several students and graduate students, based on my long-standing research on speech recognition and synthesis. The work was donated to Richard Stallman's Free Software Foundation and turned into a full GPL GNU project when NeXT Computer folded (NeXT eventually returning to its roots in Apple along with Steve Jobs).

It is very gratifying to see your interest in the software. I have been listening to some of your demos -- thanks for making them.

I notice that the speech rate is much higher than normal speech rate. I guess this is usual when you are creating speech for assistive purposes.

I shall watch developments with interest and would be very happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

I have posted to the Orca list a couple of times already (actually two duplicates), but my posts have not appeared (so far) even though I joined the list.

You may be interested in this paper describing an assistive device that was developed in my university lab:

It provided proprioceptive and tactile cues that substituted for the visual cues used by normally sighted people, as well as speech and a variety of gestural commands.

David Hill