Re: [orca-list] Espeak variants was Re: New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 12:26:53PM AEST, kendell clark wrote:

hi
Just a suggestion. If this is added, would it be feasible to simply
add a second combo box to orca's preferences dialog, available only to
espeak users, labeled something like varient?

You could, but that introduces a special case into Orca's code, and special cases are something that every
coder tries to avoid, well I know I try to at least. If more speech synthesizers had something similar, that
could be done, but adding a special case for one synthesizer is likely something that is not desireable.

I think the cleanest solution is to extend Speech Dispatcher to allow clients to query for voice variants,
and then Orca would only present them to the user if the currently selected synthesizer makes such
information available. That way there would be no special casing required, and if the synthesizer doesn't
provide variants or whatever its called, then Orca just grays out the combo box.

Luke