Re: [orca-list] Espeak variants was Re: New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

hi
Just a suggestion. If this is added, would it be feasible to simply
add a second combo box to orca's preferences dialog, available only to
espeak users, labeled something like varient? As a note of comparison,
nvda does this as well. Meaning, nvda thinks of "voices" as languages,
and "varients" are only available in espeak, and I believe the
eloquence driver, but this had to be coded in as a kind of hack, since
eloquence itself doesn't support them. I can't help much, but I can
try to find out more about varients. I believe espeak thinks of voices
as languages, and varients as voices. The different voices are the
different languages, and the varients are ... sort of different
personalities, I think varients are designed to be used with any
language, which is why my solution of turning varients into voices is
suboptimal. I was able to do this for us english, and could, maybe, do
this for all languages, but besides making the espeak folder
unnecessarily larger, it would make the already long voice list in
orca nearly unmanagable.  I have no control over the development of
speech-dispatcher, but I would suggest, and this is just me, that
espeak varient support should be on the list, but at a higher priority
would be cleaning up speech-dispatcher's audio code, putting specific
attention on pulse audio. The only reason I mention this  is because
the most common complaint I hear about linux, above lack of
applications, etc etc, is the crackling speech-dispatcher can
sometimes cause. On some systems, such as mine, it's a few
milliseconds at most, but some it can last seconds, even minutes. I
suspect, but can't prove, that this is caused by speech-dispatcher's
interaction with pulse audio, because the crackling doesn't happen if
orca isn't run, and no other audio stream seems to cause it.
Thanks
Kendell clark