Re: [orca-list] Internet

hi
I agree with christopher on this one. I've used nvda before, though
thankfully not recently, and while it's not as bad as kyle says it can
be, it's got it's share of bugs, one of which is the presenting of one
link per line. Yes, this can be toggled off, but nvda's preferences
system is even more complicated than orca's, and I never can remember
where the option I want is. I find orca's system much better, and
there's always the o to jump past a block of links for pages who don't
know how to mark themselves up well
Thanks
Kendell clark

Christopher Chaltain wrote:
I use Windows screen readers that break web sites up as you
describe and Orca which doesn't, and I very much prefer the way
Orca does it. If this is implemented, I hope it is a configurable
option, and I hope it isn't made the default. Of course, I'm just
one user, but this is my opinion.

I find reading web sites is much more efficient the way Orca does
it. With the press of one down arrow key, I jump past the row of
links found at the top of many a page. If I want to jump from link
to link one link at a time, I always have the tab key, which will
do this for me.

Orca also gives me a sense of how the page is laid out for a
sighted user, which helps a lot when someone is explaining to me
what to do on a page or even when I'm explaining something on a web
site to a sighted user.

I'm all for taking the best ideas from wherever they come from, but
I think the way Orca does it is the superior way. I came to Linux
and Orca from Windows, but I'm opposed to implementing something in
Orca just because that's how it's implemented in a Windows screen
reader. If a Windows screen reader got it right then let's use it,
but I don't think we're doing Windows users any favors if we don't
introduce them to a better way of doing things.