Re: [orca-list] Internet

I use Windows screen readers that break web sites up as you describe and Orca which doesn't, and I very much prefer the way Orca does it. If this is implemented, I hope it is a configurable option, and I hope it isn't made the default. Of course, I'm just one user, but this is my opinion.

I find reading web sites is much more efficient the way Orca does it. With the press of one down arrow key, I jump past the row of links found at the top of many a page. If I want to jump from link to link one link at a time, I always have the tab key, which will do this for me.

Orca also gives me a sense of how the page is laid out for a sighted user, which helps a lot when someone is explaining to me what to do on a page or even when I'm explaining something on a web site to a sighted user.

I'm all for taking the best ideas from wherever they come from, but I think the way Orca does it is the superior way. I came to Linux and Orca from Windows, but I'm opposed to implementing something in Orca just because that's how it's implemented in a Windows screen reader. If a Windows screen reader got it right then let's use it, but I don't think we're doing Windows users any favors if we don't introduce them to a better way of doing things.