Re: [orca-list] Ubiquitous proprietary software: was, New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

According to B.Henry:
# I usually go on and use docx, or doc if I know that there's a good chance
# that someone will need to use the file who doesn't have a newer version of
# MS-office.

I have no problem these days recommending that people hit "save as" in
Microsoft Office and choose ODF or Open Document format, whichever it
calls it. The versions of Microsoft Office that *don't* support Open
Document formats are now so old that they are no longer relevant. So
LibreOffice, I believe OpenOffice.org, Google Docs and even Microsoft
Office that is less than 5 years old all support Open Document files, so
this is what I send out and this is what I ask for now. No one running
something that isn't ancient should have any problem opening the files,
not even one of those businesses that feel like spending thousands of
$CURRENCY just so that they can have Microsoft Office on every computer
plus additional thousands of $CURRENCY to get support when something
goes wrong somehow makes good business sense. They can all open ODF
documents, so it makes sense to make them and send them everywhere.
Sent from my thought maker
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/