Re: [orca-list] Internet

I could be wrong, but I think adding an option to display each link on
its own line would require changing the way that Orca sees the page
layout, so would most likely be non-trivial and impractical to
implement. On the other hand, perhaps a bug I've seen while shopping on
Amazon could be exploited to make this work. The bug in question does
something very much like this, but it breaks up text at arbitrary
locations. For example, if I search for a product and then navigate
using the arrows below a specific result's heading, the average rating
is posted. It should look something like
4.1 out of 5 stars
Instead, Orca is seeing it as
4.1
out
of 5
star
Indicating that what you want may be possible, it just needs to be
hacked in somehow to exploit behavior like this when desired, e.g. when
entering or exiting link text, but fix it up when it's not desired, say
on an Amazon search result for example. In any case, it sounds like what
you really need isn't so much having each link on its own line, but
instead to have the ability to choose to force the up and down arrow
keys to navigate by element rather than by line, which may be possible.
The only problem I see with that is that large text objects such as
paragraphs would need to be broken at an arbitrary length, e.g. 25 words
or something similar, which may be impractical or otherwise non-trivial
to implement, but seems like it would serve a better purpose than
singling out links and trying to force them onto lines by themselves.
Perhaps something like this could be a navigation granularity setting
that would be switchable from the keyboard within the browser as well as
from the browser's individual Orca preferences.
Sent from my random thought generator
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/