Re: [orca-list] Ubiquitous proprietary software: was, New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

B.Henry <burt1iband gmail com> wrote:
I usually go on and use docx, or doc if I know that there's a good chance
that someone will need to use the file who doesn't have a newer version of
MS-office.

I'm finding Pandoc (available from most Linux distributions) to be an
excellent tool for converting documents into MS-Word format, HTML, PDF via
LaTeX, EPUB, and any of the other output formats that it supports.

I simply write in Markdown format using the text editor of my choice, then
invoke Pandoc to convert the file to whatever format is needed. I use Git to
keep track of changes. Pandoc also supports automatic citation and
bibliography generation. You don't have as much control over the presentation
as with LaTeX, but you can easily produce a greater variety of output formats,
and Markdown is convenient and easy to edit.