Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

The original poster was asking about high quality voices, and mentioned
being new to modern Linux in general. Why then do people continue to
recommend something like Voxin or whatever they're calling it these
days, which is by no means a high quality voice, and is not only hard to
understand, but also hard to get installed into most distros? He said
he's having trouble hearing robotic and unclear voices, therefore, he
will need to either get tips on how to make Festival work or use the
Mbrola configuration for Espeak. Some of the Festival voices do actually
sound quite good, although nothing feels as responsive as Espeak here.
Much of the robotics of Espeak can be fixed by making variant voices,
although they have to be made as separate voices, as variant files don't
currently work with speech-dispatcher. As for festival, it should be
possible to load in the voices you want and enable a startup service
that runs
festival --server
I need to try that here, but I have heard recent reports that this does
indeed work. Best Festival voices include bdl and slt. I think these are
available in Arch using the festival-us package, but other distros have
different names for this package.
Sent from my title page
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/