Re: [orca-list] Small talking distro

I'm a big fan of straight Debian as well.  The problem you may run into though is UEFI compatibility.  The
last time this issue came up for me was about a year and a half ago and they didn't have their act together
as of yet so, I went with Ubuntu.  I'm responding on this pretty late in the thread so, my apologies if your
hardware can't support what I'm about to recommend:

A dual core 1.2 ghz system with 4gb ram does nicely with:

Ubuntu 14.04 running gnome 3.10/3.12 with Orca 3.14 and Emacspeak 39 and whatever Speakup version comes with
the Ubuntu kernel.  I can have Speakup in the console if I activate it from a gnome terminal session with:

sudo modprobe speakup soft_start=1
sudo espeakup

The only issue I have had is that it can sometimes cause speech-dispatcher to crackle when I go from the
console back to the GUI but I fix it by running spd-conf in the terminal and hitting enter a bunch of times
until I hear "Speech dispatcher is working."  I then alt f2 and type orca --replace  and the crackle is gone.

It positively zooms when I run Mate on it.  My wife prefers Mate, my son and I prefer Gnome shell.  I started
out wanting to use it as a straight server but, she started trying to use the desktop so, I beefed up my
firewall and turned it into a workstation/server which made her happy.  (When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody
happy is way true for us with the computer situation in our house.) I have no complaints.  We all use it and
it works just fine.  Everyone but me is sighted so, we all use the screen reader on/off hotkey and are able
to share a machine for desktop use and we store our pictures and music on it for access with our tablets and
smartphones when we are on our home network.  As debian distros go, it's very user-friendly when you just
want to do minimal configuration and hit the ground running but, since it is Linux, you can still come back
and customize your heart out when you have the time.

Alex M