Re: [orca-list] Small talking distro

They changed the command(s) to enable speakup with software speech, espeak of course, between 2010 and 2011 I
think it was.
The last release I remember using was either 2011.95 or more likely 2012.05. I am not sure of exact name
punctuation.
You could find old releases on the GRML website last time I checked. If you find out that the newer GRML's
dop not have working speakp make sure you get
the "full" image, or what ever they call their larger one.
I did have trouble with the combined 32/64bit (they call it 96), image on at least one machine, but there
were still images that were arch specific
then.
It will not have Orca of course, and especialy if the latest images do not have speakup GRML would be a poor
choice. It is just Debian with an extensive
selection of admin and rescue tools. You'd be much better off with straight Debian as GRML is not optimized
for installing to hard-drive as a primary
OS/distro.
As C.J. mentions, Vinux4 is a viable option. You will not be able to upgrade to anything close to latest
Orca, so if best firefox support is important
to you you may want to try something else, but in my experience Vinux4 is very solid, and accessibility is
excellent for most programs. After installing
it make sure to upgrade your packages, but do not accidentally let it try and upgrade to trusty, or any of
the non-lts Ubuntu releases if using the GUI
update checker.
I'd recommend you going with a Debian based distro as from what I have read from you that is where your
experience lies.
The computer in question is sinigle core, and unless you upgraded RAM is probablly marginal, so I'd consider
Debian with mate as your desktop. If you
can posibly afford a bit of memory put at least 2GB in there, I think it'll hold up to 4. I have run Vinux4
reasonably well with only 1GB of RAM and a
slow dual core CPu, but a bit more will help you a lot. Also avoid all unnecesary multi-tasking.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:29:46PM -0400

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that they either
disabled Speakup in grml or took it out completely by disabling the
staging drivers in the kernel. Maybe they put everything right again,
but I do remember people mentioning this problem.
Sent from my constellation
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/