Re: [orca-list] The use case(s) for "frozen" flat review?

hi
To answer your first question, the second. I most often use flat
review to check on iso burns, file transfers, etc  in both gnome and
mate, and what usually occurs is this. The dialog opens, and orca says
the progress bar state, followed either of, burning "nameOfIso" to
disk, or "moving  numberOfFiles to Location". THe number of files
don't change in flat review, even though the progress bar state
continues to be announced by orca. if I want to see  the updated
window state, I have to tab away from and back to the window, so that
flat review can present the updated text. I didn't know you could set
bookmarks when in flat review. SPeaking of bookmarks, I wanted to
bring up an issue, or maybe it's not an issue, but rather a question
that has been tugging at me for a while. Orca bookmarks are incredibly
useful. They seem to only work in html controls, EG gecko or webkit
content. WOuld it be at all possible to make bookmarks general
purpose? THat is, I could set bookmarks in text documents, and jump to
my place there? I could set a bookmark on a particular file or folder
icon in nautilus, caja, etc and jump to that icon later? I have no
idea how the underlying code would work but if this was possible it
would make an already awesome feature incredibly handy. Back to flat
review. NOw that I think about it, I'm not sure if I'm asking flat
review to be improved or revised to be no longer frozen, which might
cause all kinds of problems. The closest comparison I can make to it
would be nvda's screen review, where it puts you into a sort of 2
dimentional representation of the screen, but not even it updates
itself when new text changes, which means it might not be possible. I
can think of all sorts of little examples where flat review does not
change when text changes. In update managers, fedora, ubuntu, as well
as arch, if when you enter flat review the current text of the window
is ?updating linux 3.10" the text will stay that way and never update
until you tab away form and back to the window. It kind of sounds like
I'm asking for flat review to be changed to be kind of like a 2d
representation of an application, complete with the ability to change
to updated labels, text, controls etc which might or might not be
possible. In any case, I really hesitate to ask this, as it would
probably  mean refactoring a lot of code, if not rewriting flat review
altogether.

Thanks
Kendell clark

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey Kendell.

Thanks for your reply! From it, I have follow-up questions:

1. Are you just staring at the screen? In other words, you get into
flat review, you move to the widget of interest, and you take your
hands off the keyboard waiting for that widget to reach a certain
point? Or are you instead:

2. Using flat review to move around on the screen, but occasionally
you wish to look to see if the widget has changed state/value? Or
something else?

Also: Is there always just a single widget of interest? If so,
could you set a temporary bookmark so that you could jump there on
occasion?

Also: Please describe a very concrete and real example (complete
with application and task being attempted) that you yourself have
actually done (or tried to do but failed as a result of there not
being "frozen" flat review -- or whatever the missing feature is).

That last statement might sound a tad snarky. If so, please know
that it's not meant that way at all. I really want to understand
the problem(s) in order to solve them.

Take care. --joanie