Re: [orca-list] The use case(s) for "frozen" flat review?

hi
My suggestion would be to keep flat review largely as it is now, IE a
picture of what is in the window at the moment it is activated, with
the following exceptions. Progress, spinners, and item counts. I'd
also like to see, but don't have any idea how to do it without causing
all sorts of guessing code to be implemented in orca, to periodically
pole the window for any changed labels and/or controlls. This is going
off the topic, but I see a problem with, I"m not at all sure if this
is at-spi or orca, but sometimes when a window such as a dialog opens,
orca cannot focus on anything but the window or frame's outer object,
that is, teh frame itself, and cannot see the text in taht object
until orca is restarted. I'm not sure what to do with flat review.
Flat review is really, really useful, abnd I don't think it should go
away. Is it possible to make exceptions to the "static" state flat
review uses, for example what I listed above, without having to resort
to lots of potentially costly calls to at-spi to query the app for
accessible states, names change events, and all sorts of things that
are over my head, and might not even be implemented properly in what
ever app you're reviewing?
Thanks
Kendell clark

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

Periodically someone raises the issue that Orca fails to preserve
the flat review context when the content of the stuff being
reviewed changes. This is not something I can just wave a magic
wand and fix without knowing what the actual use cases are. It
would be helpful if you could share them with me. But first, I'd
ask you to consider the following:

* The purpose of flat review is to show you what is on screen in
the current window. Like a photo. In other words, what sighted
users see. If we freeze flat review, making some of you very happy,
and the stuff you are reviewing scrolls off the screen (e.g. in a
chat window after more content comes in), I'd bet money that
someone else comes along and calls your feature a bug because Orca
was lying to them about what was showing.

* One of the features of flat review is to make it possible to
synthesize mouse clicks. If the flat review context is frozen, but
the screen contents change, when you click one of the following
can happen: You click on some totally different object -- the one
that has since moved into view at the coordinates in question --
which might have undesirable consequences if it's a widget or link
you didn't know was there. Alternatively, Orca could try to
activate the accessible object associated with the flat review
context. But if that accessible is associated with a widget that no
longer exists, there's a chance Orca will crash your app.

Keeping the above in mind, please explain to me what it is you wish
to accomplish with a "frozen" flat review so that we can try to
find a way to address your needs without causing the problems
described above. Maybe flat review as it was envisioned isn't what
anyone wants at all. Or maybe what you want is a very valid and
cool feature that ain't flat review, but something entirely
different which would exist in addition to flat review. I'd love to
know which it is. <smiles>

orca-list mailing list orca-list gnome org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/orca-list Visit
http://live.gnome.org/Orca for more information on Orca. The manual
is at