Re: [orca-list] Some ideas about the current bookmark functionality

hi
I completely agree, a list of bookmarks would be extremely useful. I
sometimes use the numbered bookmarks, but never more than two or 3, so
I could easily transition over to the new system. While you're looking
at the book mark code, is there a way to jump the system focus to the
bookmarked position, instead of just flat review? I hope I'm making
any sense. I don't know for sure if I'm right or not, just guessing
based on what happens when I use bookmarks in anything other than gecko.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

Looking more at the bookmark code, I've got the following ideas
and would love your feedback to see if you agree or if I should
just leave well enough alone. <smiles>

1. I think a list-of-bookmarks dialog would be helpful, just like
we have for structural navigation objects.

2. I think the next and previous bookmark commands are useful, and
are also like structural navigation objects.

3. I question the value of having all these keybindings for
numbered bookmarks. (i.e. there are 6 separate bindings for adding
bookmarks, there are another 6 separate bindings for then going to
a numbered bookmark.) Are these really needed, or would it be
sufficient to have next, previous, and a list-of? Furthermore, if
we get away from these numbered bookmarks, you could add however
many you wanted and then use the list-of dialog to get at them if
next/previous was too far away.

4. I would like to remove the "where am I" bookmark functionality.
To begin with, it's unbound and broken. Secondly, it appears that
when working the functionality would be something like this: You
press one of the numbered bookmarks. Let's say bookmark 5. Then
Orca would tell you if the current object you're on is: a) the same
as bookmark 5 b) has the same parent as bookmark 5, c) shares some
common ancestor with bookmark 5, or d) can't figure it out. I
cannot imagine how knowing this information would be of any use.
And since it's been broken for a while, and is also unbound, I'm
guessing you all haven't found a use for it either.

I have other ideas and questions, and I'm sure you do as well. But
let's start with the above.

orca-list mailing list orca-list gnome org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/orca-list Visit
http://live.gnome.org/Orca for more information on Orca. The manual
is at