Re: [orca-list] How should Orca present text attributes in "proofreading" mode?

hi
I agree with peter. I'm curious how this proofreading mode will work.
Will it be a separate mode, like browse mode and focus mode, activated
via a keystroke, or a mode that orca enters into automatically when a
particular application or document is opened? Or will it be all of
them, configurable by the individual user? Regardless of the answer, I
can't wait to try this out.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Peter Vágner wrote:
Hello, This message most likelly comes late as I assume
implementation of this has already started but I'll try to describe
what I like anyway.

Currently within screen reader preferences dialog on the text
attributes tab we do have a list with checkable items representing
text attributes e.g. font family, underline, bold, foreground /
background color etc. What is checked in this list is being
examined on the current caret position and reported when pressing
orca+f keyboard shortcut inside a document. I think when orca+f is
pressed all the attributes orca can retrieve should be reported.
This list however should stay there and instead controlling what
is reported on orca+f key press it should control what will be
reported in this so called proof reading mode. It should be
reported in speech and most likelly in braille as well. I don't own
a braille device so I can't give better suggestion on braille. But
when reporting in speech I imagine it to work like this.

Imagine we do have the following text Hello, This is bold and this
is blue. The word bold is written in bold and the foreground color
of word blue is blue.

If the default color is black, we do have foreground color and
bold checked within the list I am tallking about all the time then
reading this line should yeeld the following via speech Hello, This
is bold bold no bold and this is blue blue black.

When navigating by characters or other units this should also
apply meaning orca will always query the formatting on the current
caret position and it should compare it to the formatting on the
previous caret position. So for example when navigating over these
three words within the same formatted text is bold and by character
you will get something like i s space bold b o l d no bold space a
n d

This might be difficult to explain so if you think I should
describe it in other words or give more examples please ask. What I
like is highly inspired by how NVDA is working on windows.

Thanks and greetings

Peter