Re: [orca-list] Important: Web accessibility survey for screen reader users

The survey is out of a university, not part of a larger gov plot....grin.
Do not forget the populasrity of chromebooks over the last year or almost 2 now I guess it is. While you can
argue a bit about whether chromeOS is a
niche opperating system perhaps, (I could not argue one way or another having no eperience), ichromevox is
the screenreader for more than chrome as we
know it on Linux or that Microsoft OS.
The survey is more about web accessibility if I remember correctly than general purpose computer
accessibility, so talking a browser specific
screenreader does make sense in that context.
Lots of the younger blind people coming up are dumbed down in to us9ing web apps when they are not necesary
for school or work. Not knocking the current
batch of kids, each generation has its own "blind spots" if you will pardon the poor pun.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 07:18:18AM -0500

hi
This is definitely possible. I was talking with some people on the
talking arch channel and we were all wondering why orca didn't get a
mention. After all, chromevox is on the list, and that barely
qualifies as a screen reader. It's more of an application specific
reader, which ... well, whether it counts or not is debatable I guess.
I think it all boils down to the blind government agencies, of which
this web accessibility thing is probably associated with, conveniently
forgetting to give linux any mentions at all. I've noticed this a lot,
but I don't have an answer. My cinical side thinks it's some plot to
make windows and apple invaluable, while the rest of me has no idea.
Thanks
Kendell clark

kk wrote:

Hi all. orca is indeed being used in India extensively, specially
in the south. And I think this is deliberate social engineering by
some exploitative proprietary mafia which wants people to have
another reason not to use a free OS. Given that NVDA gets a mention
at all the places, it being open source, then why not Orca? The
reason is very simple, you still need proprietary OS and other
proprietary software with NVDA right? But Linux is free as in
freedom and to a great extent as in free of cost. So they want to
defeate the very social purpose. Happy hacking. Krishnakant.