Re: [orca-list] Heads up: Just committed some support for speaking MathML content in Firefox

Hi Joanmarie,

as a CS student I have to read/produce a lot of Maths content. So I’m really interested in this stuff! :D

I’ve stopped playing with linux and GUI a few weeks ago for various reasons, but I’d like to give you a
suggestion. Please, do not do what the Apple guys did. I’ll be clearer in the next lines! :-)

Since the Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks release, Voiceover (the built-in OS X screen reader) supports MathML. If
you just depends on speech output, it’s simply amazing unless you want to explore the content (i.e. read it
symbol by symbol). But, if you’re like me (and the majority of blind people dealing with Maths), you’ll also
use a Braille display to read that content. On the Braille display, though, you *do not want* to read exactly
the string that the screen reader is pronouncing. In Braille, there are proper codes/symbols/conventions to
report fractions, square roots and any sort of operators/Maths content. Long story short, to support MathML
properly a screen reader should read it properly and, at the same time, show it on a Braille display by using
the proper Braille code. Just a little example to clarify what I’m saying:

<mfrac>
<mn>3</mn>
</mfrac>

the screen reader could read something like

fraction (x plus two) hover tree

but the Braille display should present this string by using the Braille code symbols, not showing it exactly
on the Braille display. That’s something the Apple guys didn’t understand even after various reports...

BTW, the MathPlayer with NVDA should work in the way I would expect, but I’ve not had time to test it yet.

hope this helps.

Vincenzo.