Re: [orca-list] virtualization software on linux

Hi,
Cracks? Is that what we call licensing this days, grin.
Folks, don't use stolen sotware - either pay for it or use free and open
source software. NVDA is a perfect screen reader for a Windows
enviroment and you don't need anything else (several years NVDA user and
several years JAWS user before that, now several years Orca user here).

On topic: I don't use virtual machines any more, but when I did, I used
exclusivly VirtualBox. It's pritty accessible and even that there are a
few inaccessible parts, you can edit the configuration file and/or use
the command line access to workaround that (and that in case you need
some very complex configuration).
One disadvantage  of VirtualBox is that you can't assign greater than
256MB video RAM to the virtual machine. That is the minimum requirement
for all Windows versions since Vista, so you'll experiance a certain lag.

However, your idea of running headless virtual machine and accessing it
via remote desktop intrigues me. I've done that, but on Windows Server
2008, and Debian 7 was the guest OS - somewhat the oposit. However, I'm
sure it's possible under linux, too.
For remote client you can use Remmina. I've used that to connect to the
Windows Server 2008 mentioned above from my Vinux desktop. It's pritty
accessible, except some parts of the initial session creation.
So what's intriguing here is the fact, that the visualization will
happen on the Linux side, not in the virtual machine. That means the
256MB video RAM limit won't have any matter.
Please, when you do this, compair the performance when interacting with
the virtual machine itself and via remote desktop, and drop us a few lines.

Oh, and depending what programs you'd like to run at the same time on
the both machines, you may need a lot of RAM. 4GB is not enough at all -
8GB is a minimum. whitch reminds me, that may be it won't be bad if you
tell us the parameters of the machine, so people with similar
configurations could suggest you what would be the performance when
running Debian and a Windows virtual machine inside it.

Best wishes,
Zahari