Re: [orca-list] Considering Linux but Need Advice

I think Alex has given some pretty good advice. I want to note a couple of things, though.

Debian has some good documentation that is easy to find on its site, including at least some of the books Alex may have had in mind.

Arch is not aimed at new users, but last I looked it had a good deal of high-quality documentation that I think could help a lot with the learning curve. It certainly helped me, though I was not quite a novice.

One problem I have with Arch is that its package descriptions are mere summaries; there is no long description, as there is with Debian's or Fedora's software-updating tools. I've sometimes found this a notable nuisance when I wanted to determine whether or not to install a piece of software.

I like Fedora's updating software, rpm and dnf, a bit better than Debian's dpkg, apt-get, and aptitude, although these tools have their considerable virtues. Unlike Debian and Arch, however, Speakup, the screen reader for the text console, is not automatically available with Fedora: you can get it, but it's extra trouble. Also, I've had more trouble finding its documentation: sometimes it has almost been a breeze, sometimes impossible to find, depending on I don't know what. Even with that said, however, I may return to it for reasons Alex mentioned.

I hope this helps a little.

Al