Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

I like the control center approach just fine when using mate, gnome, unity..., but none of those is my
environment of choice, and I think it's very
important to make sure that orca continues to work on as many systems as is possible including WM based
systems such as my flulxbox.
It seems like it'd be really hard to fork things to allow for a version that does not depend on gnome
integration.
Again, I  like the control centers and it'd be fine to have orca settings there, but if having that means
that one will beforced to have  that
infrastructure I vote against it.
I also like having an orca directory where one can easily fiind user specific stuff and move it to other
machines when desired.
 I don't milnd working with schemas and keys, but do think it's a much harder concept for the relative novice
to get their head around compared to the
current way of doing things.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 11:11:20AM -0400

My personal preference is something similar to the gnome-control-center
idea, whether gsettings is ultimately used or not. I have become
accustomed to that typ of interface over the past couple of years, and
rather like it. That said, the ultimate goal of getting everything into
gsettings seems like the best option in the long term, as it will
integrate nicely into gnome-control-center, and most desktop
environments where Orca can be used do use the gsettings interface in
some way, with the exception of probably Fluxbox and Ratpoison, which
are actually window managers rather than desktop environments. In the
short term, if possible, an Orca preferences interface that looks much
like the gnome-control-center window, where we can choose an icon to
set the settings we want to change, and then have an "all settings"
button to go back to the main list once we have changed the settings in
a category would be very nice indeed. I'm not sure that we can
currently have this interface without the "apply" and "OK" buttons to
reload the settings, but the overall style is good, even if we do still
need those, i.e. if settings can't be changed in realtime as they are
set.
Sent from my pillbox