From your console session with Speakup, type spd-conf and press enter.
Then, follow the prompts for a user-specific setup.  When you get to the
sound output question, type alsa and then hit enter.  Proceed through the
remaining options.  Once you are done, orca should talk in Gnome.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Kristoffer
Gustafsson
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 2:49 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] problem with orca/gnome sound

Hi.
I installed Debian Linux some Days ago.
There are no sounds at all in gnome.
I didn't want pulse audio, so I removed that.
I can get alsa to work in the console.
But not in gnome.
There was no sound when I had pulse audio installed either.
I thought that the problem was orca so I ran orca --text-setup.
The only message I got was the question if braille should be activated.
That was the only question.
Shouldn't there be more?
At least it was Before.
What can be wrong here?