Re: [orca-list] A couple of small questiond and a huge thanks!

There are other options for irc if you think you must have a gui, but some day give irssi a fair try/it's
great, especially with a couple of scripts
installed that make things easier for blind folk.
As Storm says, pidgin works very well, and in my opinion is the best GUI im/chat client available, not just
for LInux, best available hands down. It is
fine for IRC, and works with almost any popular and some unpopular protocols and services. Twitter is the
major exception. It used to work with an
excellent plug-in for twitter, but this was not maintained.
You can also use thunderbird for IRC, works well, but does not have any fancy extra features. You could
install instant bird, but it really does little
more than thunderbird in the way of chat and does not do email...lol.
There is an IRC only, or at least mostly IRC program called smuxi that is accessible, has a good feature set,
but I found it less than speech friendly
although it was usable/may be possible to do a better job with it than I did.
Xchat is mostly accessible, but has serious accessibility gaps that probably are not getting fixed, so sadly
it's off the table I think.
There are more that look like they may be usable with orca but I have never installed them to test nor
heardany reviews of them.
Another almost any protocol client is empathy. It is not as flexible as pidgin, and I find it a bit less
intuitive as far as its menu layout goes, but
it should do you fine for IRC as well.

If you search the archives for this list you will see some information on an attempt at making something that
works like NVDA's ocr function. I never
got it going, but Iit can be done. They both use the same ocr engine, so result quality should be the same,
i.e. far from perfect,not quite as good as
what you get with jaws, but plenty good enough for what these extensionss were intended for.
Stormdragon wrote:
If you are using arch Linux, there is a package in the UR called ocrdesktop. It isn't part of Orca itself,
but does the ocr thing in a way that is usable by Orca. It wors very well.
Snip:
Looking forward to trying this.
The real issue with OCR is the quality of the OCR engines undr the hood. They can give good results at times,
but I generally find them in the
fair to marginal/barely usable range. This is too bad as there are good front ends to use these engines in
different contexts. With some tweaking
results can be improved  in some situations, but you need proprietary and far from free (in both senses of
the word), software to get good results much
of the time in my experience. Some people report better outcomes with these backends, and again, they are
often good enough, but just barely in a lot of
those cases.
I just tried to get text from a jpg image last night and more words were mispelled than were correct, and
thus I'm less than confident about numbers and
abreviations which must be close to perfect for this to be of value to me. From what I've read the difference
seems to be about 20% accuracy between
free and high quality proprietary OCR engines. To give perspective we are perhaps talking 75% vs. 90%
accuracy, or in other words the difference in
accuracy is greater than the failure rate of the proprietary engines.
Again results can vary wildly depending on exact task  and conditions, and I do not mean to sound overly
negative in my assessment of our free and open
source options which IL am greatful for.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Storm Dragon wrote:
Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 01:28:52PM -0400

Howdy,
If you are using arch Linux, there is a package in the UR called ocrdesktop. It isn't part of Orca itself,
but does the ocr thing in a way that is usable by Orca. It wors very well.
You can use pidgin to do irc chat if you want a graphical client. It works wel and is completely accessible.
HTH
Storm