Re: [orca-list] updating Orca

By "building from sources", what is usually meant is:
downloading and extracting a "tarball", or "cloning" a repository of code in a high-level language, such as C or Python, and manually following instructions which cause this code to be compiled and installed as an application program or kernel (if you're really brave); lol. Unless you have also done the steps to turn your resulting installable code into a package, such as in Ubuntu, your app built from sources is not under package management by utilities like apt-get. For instance, I am now running orca from the Master development code base but the latest stable binary of orca is 3.12.1, this in Trisquel 7. The orca, built from Master, is in a folder within my home directory. This way, if I find the latest orca to be unusable, I can run the one from the repos (it's in /usr/bin/orca, no harm done. If I decide I like Master, I could package it properly, and install it using dpkg, thus letting the system know I'm using it, instead of the stable gnome-orca package.

HTH,

Dave  H.