Re: [orca-list] Orca and mate

yes, there are plenty of howtos around you can also look on Vinux wiki, and whatever the raspberrypi wiki is
called for instrustions.
You'll hav problems with anything earlier than 1.8 packages, and you need to have at least one gtk module
exported among other things.
The exact commands are in both of the wiki articles I mention, as there are a couple others that you'll need
for some stuff.

Many of us, including myself are using mate, either as primary desktop, or sometimes, including myself.
The only major bug effecting mate at this point as far as I'm concerned is the fact that only one panel can
be read by orca, so you should delete the
bottom panel, and perhaps move the remaining panel to the bottom or a side and then put any applets or
launchers you want there.
Enjoy, it is one of the best all around Desktops with orca.
There's another work around here if you are not using latest orca, but I recommend using 3.14 or master
branch if you are using mate. If you can't
update to one of these orca releases, then you are probably using something where latest mate is not
available.
Not sure about debian stable, but testing should let you get new mate, as will latest ubuntu, 14.04. Arch and
other non-debian distros also have mate
1.8.