Re: [orca-list] New user!

Hi, first, a friendly suggestion: try and make your subject more evocative of msg content for best results,
i.e. in this case perhaps the fact that you are a new user is something important for you to share with us,
(welcome BTW!), but the main question relates to VIM, so how about "A new user with a VIM question" as your
subject.
Anywway, a strong recommendation  from someone who's used one or another Linux distro as primary OS for 3 and
a half years now and is both a big fan, and not suffering from any fanboy dillusions regarding Linux or its
accessability: run CLI programs when at all practical from true virtual terminals, consoles, what ever you
wish to call em, not from terminal emulators. Gnome terminal, XFCE terminal, Mate terminal, etc generall work
very well, but most CLI programs are not nearly as comfortable to read with orca as they are with speakup in
a true console.
There are some aps that interact with GUI components that are generally run in a terminal emulator, and
terminal emulators are great for running one off commands, i.e. updating your system, copying something from
a GUI program in to a command, etc. I use a couple skype helper programs that can usually be run in a console
if the display is exported, but just work in a terminal emulator.
Anyway, I've never used a gui front end for vi/vim, so I  can't help you there. I do find that in the gui one
should run gui editors though, and use the ubiquitous Linux/Unix standards like Ed, nano, and Vim in
consoles.
Many new blind Linux users are not aware of speakup it seems, or don't know much about it, but for the best
possible Accessib le Linux experience one should try and master both Orca and Speakup. The stability of CLI
programs is generally impressive compared with gui ones, and adding the extra layer of complexity of a
terminal emulator to a cli ap defeats a lot of the reason for using command line programs in my opinion.
I am not at all saying the the GUI is always infirior to the commandline, or that ther's some magic
proportion of GUI to CLI aps that is most efficient or productive. This is a personal choice, and for many of
ussomething that is dealt with on a task by task basis.
I am saying that many programs do not display in a comfortable to use manner for screenreader users in
graphical terminal emulators, and while some can be made to work better with some tweaks to orca settings
others really never will work well.
I don't know of any extensions.
One thing to check with any gui program pretty much is whether or not it is maximized, and this is especially
true of terminal windows.
--
B.H.