Re: [orca-list] What is QT and why would we use it?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 02:32:25AM EST, B. Henry wrote:
Just to add that Desktops may combine these developer toolkits, and there are aps that have multiple front
ends written
for them. For example Unity uses QT and is built on Gnome/ships with GTK aps, (yeah, this is my rudamentary
understanding,
so please amplify, clarify or correct me if I'm not explaining things correctly).

To clarrify, there were 2 versions of Unity in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise. One version that renders everything via
3D rendering on the GPU, via Compiz with a custom GUI toolkit, and a version of Unity designed to work on
lighter hardware, that doesn't necessarily get rendered via 3D rendering, based on Qt version 4.

As of Ubuntu 12.10 and later, there is only one version of Unity, the 3D rendered version, based on the
custom toolkit. However, Unity is undergoing another rewrite, based purely on Qt5.

Luke