[orca-list] string prefferences__was: accessing Audacity prefferences

Brandon,
Check the option in orca preferences in the voice tab that says something like speak multicase strings as
words. It's
either the last option before apply, or close to it.
I just saw that you are using voxin, so there may well be some things going on with how strings that contain
mixed
characters, i.e. numbers and letters are pronounced that can't be controled with Orca. I don't have this
synth installed
anywhere at the moment and don't remember how it reacts. YOu can look in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ibmtts.conf to see
if there's anything you can adjust that will help you. You may also have a speechdispatcher directory in your
home folder,
maybe ~/.local/share/speech-dispatcher, but for me it's ~/.config/speech-dispatcher. IIIIIIf you have the
directory in
your home folder you should probably work with that copy of the ibmtts.conf file as it will override whatever
is in /etc.
Ido not understand why you can't save your files with gedit. This is not normal. Try tabbing around and
seeing how
everything looks.
There is some lag with thunderbird, especially for some message types. YOu can try changing how the start
reading
automatically option is set in the thunderbird tab of orca prefs for thunderbird. Remember that orcakey
control insert
gives you the prefs for a specific ap. Apply, and then hit OK. If it is checked,, default I think, try
unsetting it and
after saving, reopen the ap specific prefs and reset it. I don't know why, but even using latest orca thhis
still makes a
difference for some settings for me.
I think the saying of capital is also a voxin thing. Look in the speech-dispatcher file I mentioned above for
anything
related to this.
OK, I see it, maybe nothing for the string thing, so hopefully the orca setting will help, but look at the
substitution
rules and change the lines that say for example,
IbmttsKeySubstitution "en"  "N"         "capital N "
deleting the capital in each letter's line. Probably just putting a # character at the beginning of each of
those lines
will have the same effect as like in most scripts and configuratin files the numbersign means the line is a
comment and
that it is not to be read by the program, or if the file is the program that it is not to be used.
YOu need to look at all of your options in both thunderbird prefferences and account settings. Remember that
some have
options with in options, so you will have to arrow down in a 2nd column as well to see them all, sorry, no
tim e to give
specific examples.
Somewhere in these is the option to enable spell checking. It's probably in composition, but can't remember
whether this
is in prefferences for sure, it may be in the account settings, i.e. can be set differently for each mail or
other
account. Anyway, once enabled you will be shown your mispelled words when you go to send a message. You can
also check a
box somewhere, probably in the same line as the automaticly spell check setting that says something about
showing
mispelled words while they are being written.
There are many settings that you may wish to customize, so I seriously recommend going through ALL the
available options
in both the menus I mentined, accounts and prefs. There's also an option intools I think that will let you
check a message
if it's not configured to do so by default. I have a reason that I don't want to start thunderbird right
now+I"m short on
time so can't check this for you right now.
Your wording is unclear regarding firefox bookmarks, but you can do some things from the contextual menu,
i.e. when on the
bookmark in question you press the menukey or shift f10 and arrow up and down. YOu can't do everything from
there, and
it's recommended to open the manager, especially if you have more than one change to apply. YOu may be
confused a bit by
how the tree structure is navigated there, at least I have at times. I know intuitively now how to do what I
need to do
almost always, but with out opening it and taking detailed notes can't explain it clearly with confidence,
and again, I'm
short on time and that would take a while. Just remember that you will need to use both tabbing and arrowing
to get at
everything. Sometimes you will see folders, and other times there contents, but everything is certainly
displayable when
you use the manager.
As for your username, my first response is, "Wow!", someone spacier than I...lol.
You should see your user name unless you've changed how your prompt is displayed, at least in most distros,
when you open
a terminal emulator in the GUI, like spacy-user [my-computer /some-directory]$
punctuation can vary as will spacing between distros, and you will likely see a ~ character when you   open
the terminal
or console as this stands for your home-directory.
If for some odd reason the username is not shown in your prompt then you can open /etc/shadow and look for
it. There will
be a list of "users", most of which will be program names. It usually starts with root, thin bin, and maybe
daemon next.
Everything will be a service or program except for usernames. In /etc/group you will find a somewhat longer
list and down
toards the bottom in most cases you will have the username also with a number beside it of 1000 or a bit
higher in most
cases unless you've done something non-standard which I doubt or you'd not be asking these questions.
The other file you may look at to change how things are spoken is the speech.conf file in the
speech-dispatcher irectory.
Make backup copies of any of the configuration files before you make any changes in case you break something,
or the
change doesn't have the desired effect. Just copy it back in to place with the original name if your changes
don't work as
desired. Remember you'll probably need to restart screenreaders to hear changes.
Got to run, so hope I touched on all the important points.
If you have more questions, please tell us your orca version, what distro/release you are using, and although
in this case
it should not matter, your cpu and how much ram you have for good measure. Again that last one won't matter
for the type
of thing you are asking about, but it's just good form as for other questions it may matter.
I'm wondering if you don't have permission to change your any files, even in your home folder as you appear
to have things
set up to auto log-in. Usually you need to enter a password to modify files or add/delete them at some point,
so if this
is not done at log-in it may be asked for when you go to save those files that don't seem to be being saved.
I don't get
why you don't hear a notification and or see the dialog where you fill in username , and password, or at
least the PW.
It's usually not a good idea to auto log-in as you'll need to enter the info at sometime anyway, and
sometimes I've heard
of other complications&or bugs that occur when things are set to auto log-in.
Maybe fixing those capital letter pronunciation lines will help all of your pronunciation issues with words
being spelled.
If you are still having issues there maybe someone who uses the ibmtts can help as I'm probably not going to
be installing
those voices soon/do need the Spanish one sometimes though, but am avoiding it for the moment as last I
checked the
speechdispatcher version required is not up to date and complications were common for many users.
Regards,
--
B.H.