Re: [orca-list] favorite linux distros.

Well, the delay to find your app with the search indexer is minimal even on older machines with Gnome.  I
have a workstation in the office which is an old pc given new life.  It's a core 2 duo from 2006 running
Gnome 3.4 on Debian 7.  That's 8-year-old hardware and it runs just fine.  Don't know how often you find
occasion to come to the States but, I'm quite sure it's not that hard to get your hands on something much
more recent than that for like 150 bucks.

I don't like the desktop window because it's one more thing to alt tab past that is unnecessary when you have
the same functionality in the top bar with a Gnome Tweak.

I don't have a lot of hotkeys to launch apps because I never felt the need with the search indexer.  As you
may recall, I'm pretty comfy in the CLI.  That means I don't mind too much if I have to type out a string or
two to get my pc to do x y or z.  The two or three letters I have to type in for it to find the app I want is
truly trivial.  E.G.  wir, gives me writer, calc gives me, well calc. fir gives me firefox ban is for
Banshee.  ETC. ETC. ETC.  Worst case scenario, I have to hit the arrow key once or twice to get to the app I
want instead of the similarly-named one it landed on first.  No big deal.  This all means that, generally,
I'm pretty happy with Gnome Shell.  Minimal menus don't bother me much either because the functionality I
want is available in other parts of the screen in different methods.  Gedit is the biggest culprit.  If I get
sick of it, I use Nano or Emacspeak and there's an end to it.  All in all, it's a nice trade off not to have
to spend hours and hours customizing.  It works well enough out of the box to get me productive.  I just add
my ppa's, upgrade what I want and I'm ready to go.

Best regards,
Alex M