From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Josh k
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 9:52 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] could this be modded?

hey could the following be modded please to work with linux?

hey i found it. I found it I found it! the ultimate ms-dos solution!
download and install the following google them... you have to google search the following!
python 2.6 found at ftp.compuconference.com pyserial com0com

install them! oh and you'll also need an old copy of vmware player 4.0 get it from filehippo or from the old
vinux virtual edition. now follow these directions pasted below. run the virtual bns server and let the
command prompt window open at all times when running the virtual machine! if you do it right, you will hav
windows3.1 and dos with window-eyes with windows3.1 and you will also have a a registered ASAP screen reader
and it is very very responsive! asap and window-eyes for
windows3.1 will talk using espeak! and you will also get pc speaker beeps and boop sounds through your laptop
or desktop speakers or sound card. so go have fun and use a real live ms-dos and windows 3.1 again!
have fun!

What you'll need
*python 2.6
*com0com
*pyserial
*vmware player or workstation
How to set this up
1. install python 2.6, then pyserial and finally com0com 2. When you've installed com0com, go to its start
menu group, and pick setup.
3. the tree view should be set for virtual pare 0.
4. Enter COM8 in the first field, and COM9 in the second field, then press space/enter on the apply button.
5. close the setup utility
Ok, the serial ports are now ready. Here is how you run the actual synth.
Go into a command prompt, then navigate where you've stored your "virtual bns" folder. IE cd C:\bns If you
get a prompt such as C:\bns> Then you're fine to actually launch the virtual braille n' speak. to do that,
assuming you've installed python in the default location, you enter C:\python26\python emu.py com9 After a
few seconds, you should hear eSpeak say "ready". just leave the window open

Now, you can boot the virtual machine.  It has a copy of ASAP for dos access. (to run that, type C: to make
sure you're on the c drive, then enter s.bat.) It also has a copy of windows 3.1 with window-eyes 1.1. to run
that, first make sure that you don't have ASAP running, then just type in win.
you should hear a chime and speech should come on.