Re: [orca-list] favorite linux distros.

You make a compelling case for an interface I do not particularly care for myself.
A few points, questions and a partial retraction disclaimer of my own words...lol
First one can fall in to all three categories. Hotkeys, keybindings to launch programs!
This is my life's blood when it comes to efficient GUI use. I used to have a couple of groups of launchers on
side panels back in gnome2daze, small and
organized groups that I could get to very quickly. I had already started transitioning to keyboard shortcuts
by the time I started using unity, and kept
those and added to them as I went toawards lighter weight GUI environments.
Of course one can't hav a keybinding to launch every GUI app that one will ever use, but I suspect most folks
are more or less like me in that they  use
10% of their programs 90% of the time. That's a bit high perhaps, but not much. Do you not bother with
setting up custom keybindings?
The reason I'm not so in love with search-driven GUIs is that I've had limited to very limited hardware  most
of the time. If I'd had a machine that
would pretty much instantly give me my result from typing a few chars of an app name I'd certainly have spent
more time using those searchboxes, but add
in a second of delay and the speed advantageof typing a word instead of arrowing is gone. I'd really like to
do a study to see just where the break
points are.
I know that the classic-menu indicator I tried with latest Ubuntu/Vinux made so damned many submenus with
most apps showing up on two or three, some
even more as I recall, that it was a nightmare to navigate, and that was on a heavy interface, so not the
goodness of usilng something light like xfce
or mate.
I actually do not dislike gnome itself, but do very much dislike the way so many core gnome aps' menus have
gone minimalist with missing functions or
long lists for all but the ones that the powers that develop decide that I'll need that are not efficient to
navigate at all.
Why does a desktop window on screen bother you as a screenreader user? I can see that it can be either a
comfort, or a distraction to a sighted user.
For me it's just a relatively uncluttered little space where I keep one folder and a small handful of files
at the moment, the kind of stuff I want to
get at in a second or two when on the phone or  talking to someone who I'll only have a minute with that
can't be wasted looking in a cluttered
directory, and having it always there does save me another second or two.
I use pcmanfm for most filemanagment because of it's impressive speed, even on low-end hardware, but don't
always have a window open.
In gnome's defense it's actually quite thrifty in memory usage compared with unity or win7, (or kde from what
I read),  and doesn't compare that
unfavorably to  Mate actually in my experience.  Of course it'll use a good bit more processor at times
because of the indexing and searching.
And as for what I use most of the time, even though I don't really have to any more, Fluxbox! Fluxbox mostly
Rocks. I'm hoping to have something
shareable so that others won't have to do much tinkering, and Linux novices won't have to wory about
permissions and copying scripts and config files in
to place.
There are still a few bits that I do have to work around that really should be fixable, but once setup it's
already a good enough system for a non power
user to be productive on pretty slow-end hardware.
--
Burt