Re: [orca-list] ArchLinux and orca question

It sounds like arch is not the distro for you.
All of the things you are having problems with are working fine for most people, and lynx works fine with
google, elinks as well.
Both browsers benefit from some configuration, and lynx has a preconfigured  lynx.cfg for use with speech. I
made my own, but much of it is siimilar or
exactly what they did.
Unless you change things and you can, you must press enter to edit a form field once you have it selected,
and then press enter on the send button of
course.
The wifi-menu display is confusing, not consistent, but some experimentation will get you through it. My
recommendation is to get close and of course in
line of site with your wifi accesspoint so that it will have the strongest signal. Type wifi-menu and when it
starts to read results you then press up
arrow to make sure you are at the top of the list. Almost all of the time the strongest signal will be at the
top, so this will work.
If you need a proprietary wifi-driver you will  have to go find it and install which may be fun.
And to answer the closest to an on-topic question yes, many people are using Mate with talking arch.
I'm one, although I actually use something else most of the time. I don't use gdm, or any desktop manager for
that matter. I'd try using startx and
thenonce you have things working go on to  configure a DM.
For some tips you might want to check out the article I wrote for the Vinux Wiki, and my friend Rill's
article that is on the raspberrypi or raspberryvi
wiki, can't remember which.
You may have just excepted defaults and that is a pulseaudio using setup. You may have not gotten pa
installed for some reason although I think pacman
should have pulled it in for you.
You may be missing some of the xorg stuff you need, and you probably still need to export at the very least a
GTK variable. All of this is covered in
the articles I mentioned.
Arch is a labor intensive distro to get set-up and configured well in many cases.
Some gui programs do not display in a very accessible way until you edit .ini, .conf, .config... those fun
little files in your home dir, usually in
~/.config/..., but some may be in other places.
The arch wiki is very good also.
Be prepared to spend many hours reading and experimenting in a typical accessible installation case. Even now
that I know what is going on I need to
spend some time to get things together depending on the hardware, but once it's done arch can be very nice.
Some people are lucky and get things working with little fuss and muss, and installing mate should be one of
the easier GUI-desktops to get up and
running on arch.
One last tip, use highlight tracking mode in speakup when something is not working as you like in the default
cursoring on mode. There are a few apps,
alsamixer for example, that need to be viewed with cursoring off, and of course the read-window mode can be
powerful if you take the time to configure
it. This may or may not be worth it however as settings are not saved unfortunately.