[orca-list] ArchLinux and orca question

hi

Has anyone gotten mate to work with talking ArchLinux? I have TalkingArch on my system but it is just a CLI. I installed rfkill, wpa_supplicant and also wicd and all its packages. I installed gdm and mate and mate-extra added the two lines from stormDragon's mate desktop blog to my ~/.xinitrc file and even set the gsettings set org.interface.mate accessiility enabled true ... but orca won't talk. of course then gdm pulled much of gnome in with it so I just decided to rip it all back out with

sudo pacman -R -s -u gnome gnome-extra mate mate-extra orca gdm

it left the downloads and other folders behind in my ~ tilde home folder though. in /home/josh/ or is it /josh/home? /mnt/josh/home ? I forget how it goes. I got the windows7 hard drive in the laptop at the moment. I also tried connecting to wifi using the command line using wicd-curses but i'm having issues figuring that out. and lynx won't read google and elinks won't let me fill in forms for some reason. am I making this connecting to wifi and getting mate talking how i want it harder than it has to be? I know I'm doing something wrong but what? oh yes I also did
export LANG=UTF-8

to fix the lang variables error when I run man to read man pages.