Re: [orca-list] intro and observations on Archlinux/Mate

No, not if you've configured things normally, mate will be fine with a gig of ram.
I think you may be better off with either thunder-bird nightly, may be cqalled daily from the AUR, or rolling
back to TB
24 if you do not mind the sync issues that for me are show stoppers, i.e. msg list is not in sync with actual
message
shown, so you must double check each message before deleting it.
I have run mate, XFCE and now mostly use fluxbox on Arch64bit on a 1.65GHz atom netbook.
I do have larger swap, but never use more than a couple hundred MB, and usually, even with mate which uses
the most memory
of the three GUIs I have only use a few hundred KB of swap.
I do not do a lot of multitasking, and did adjust swapiness and cache pressure a bit, but this should not be
necesary.
Of course more is always merrier when it comes to memory and processor power, but you are not pushing it at
all with what
you have.
PJust for the record I also ran arch CLI-only for a bit beforre installing my first GUI on it, XFCE. Then I
installed
mate, and finally because of the limited hardware decided that my best setup was ultra-lightweight with
fluxbox and some
nice customizations.
I run a pure alsa system, no pulse, and use startx, no DM.
This is a bit ot FOR here.
I'd suggest you join the talkingarch IRC channel to discuss details of your configuration and perhaps get or
share tips
and tricks.
Regards, and welcome to the list,
--