From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Joanmarie
Diggs
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:50 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Why flat review was causing focus losses in GNOME
3.9.x

On 09/12/2013 11:16 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
Hi,

A bit confused here.

Apologies for the confusion. Let me try again.

1. Orca has a flat review feature whereby users who are blind can
   access on-screen contents even if the accessibility implementation
   is poor.
2. When Orca's flat review feature is used, Orca tries to indicate the
   current review location to sighted users who are not familiar with
   screen readers by underlining it on the screen with a red underline
   marker so that those sighted users know where they are.
3. Due to recent changes in GNOME, the act of informing sighted users
   where they happen to be when using Orca's flat review feature for
   users who are blind causes the window being accessed to lose focus.

So we have a choice:

1. Try to force a screen reader to adjust to the needs of sighted users
   who are not accustomed to using a screen reader.
2. Remove a stupid, broken debugging feature for sighted, non-screen
   reader users so that actual screen reader users can, ya know,
   continue to read the screen.

My vote is for choice two. And for the record, I happen to be sighted.

Orca exists to provide access to users who are blind/visually impaired.
Period. If sighted users cannot cope, then the problem is theirs; not
Orca's. Screen reader 101 for sighted users lessons provided upon request.
*sweet smile*

Further questions?
--joanie