Re: [orca-list] openSUSE, Tumbleweed, GNOME, and Orca

No, a rolling release is not the safest and most efficient way to go for
what you want.  Rolling release and safe are somewhat contradictory.  If you
are constrained when it comes to fixing constant issues that will arise in a
rolling distribution, it is probably not for you.  My recommendation would
be for something like Debian Testing where you get reasonably up to date
stuff but a modicum of stability with it.  Or, you could always use
something like Ubuntu with the Gnome3 ppa activated and run Orca/at-spi and
friends from the git repositories.  That way, the system as a whole is
stable but the a11y stack keeps getting updated.  My own solution to this
problem is that I run Debian as a base system for mission-critical stuff
like the e-learning web server I use and then I make a Fedora virtual
machine so that I can use the up to date stuff.  I have dropbox which I use
as the catch-all repository for the files I want to work on with Linux and
just install it on all my machines.

Bottom line, there's no perfect solution for you, I'm afraid.  Stable
distribution with a11y stack run from source may get yout he best of both
worlds.  That may not even be what you want though.

HTH,
Alex M