Re: [orca-list] Need help in Ubuntu accessibility

Yes, Eclipse is accessible.  Another IDE you may want to look at is Anjuta.  It is a distant runner up in a11y for Eclipse.  Then, there’s Emacspeak which is in a class of its own.  It is accessible by design but has a rather steep learning curve.  Stay away from other ides like Netbeans, Code::blocks, Geanny ETC. since these use WxWidgets and the editable text widgets are not very accessible and neither are a lot of the dialogs there.  It’s a shame because those IDES have some nice features on them.  Anyway, Eclipse is, by far, the best choice for coding you could use in Linux.  I’ve used it for html and some very rudimentary c++ and _javascript_ code I’ve written.  When I tried my hand at learning Java, it was an excellent choice as well.  It’s the only IDE I know of that is accessible on Windows, Linux and Mac so, learn it on one platform and you have it on all three.

HTH,

Alex M

From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Nitin
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:13 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] Need help in Ubuntu accessibility

Hello List,

I have installed Ubuntu 12.0.4 and having unity desktop installed by default. I have heard that with GNome Ubuntu can be made accessible. Acctually I want an environment through which programming will be easier. I'll be using programming languages’ like Java and RubyOnRails.

Except GNome, what softwares do I require to work with Ubuntu?

is eclipse accessible?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Nitin