Re: [orca-list] Your opinion on radio button and check box presentation?

Hello,
I have migrated from Windows to Linux and I am used to that both checkboxes and radio buttons report their states as checked and not checked. The difference is that checkbox is a single UI element with two or three states checked, unchecked and partially checked also known as half checked. Radio button is a single element found inside a group of radio buttons. One of them is checked and all the others are unchecked. I think you are now wondering whether selected and focused have possibly the similar if not the same meaning. I understand that there is no way to select buttons, checkboxes, menu items etc. You are able to focuss these. You are able to select text and you are also able to select an item or more items from a list or similar control.

So to sum it up. As I understand selected is not and should not be considered a replacement for focused. I like the words checked and unchecked for radio buttons but I can imagine someone else arguing that with analogy to real old analog radio unit the controls are not checked but they are pressed or selected there because usually only one of them can be active at a time.

What really worries me that translators will have difficulties understanding the change while localizing. For several months I am in contact with slovak localization gnome team trying to improve orca translation to slovak however we have some terminology issues e.g. mixed headers and headings, and issues to make the translation consistent with ATK. I think many of the states and control names are not translated in orca but inside the ATK. So I would also consider this if possible. If there is a term for a given action in another app or a library then we should try to be consistent where possible.

Greetings

Peter