Re: [orca-list] will firefox 20 be an improvement

Hello,
Opus codec is by putting it really verry simple a merge of xiph celt and skype silk codecs which became an RFC standard. It brings low latency audio with considerably better quality ranging from 8 to 512 kbits. Having this coupled with web RTC a real time communication API for web developers it is now theoretically possible to build really powerfull rich web based multimedia apps. http://twelephone.com/ is my example of choice. With Firefox 23 and newer we can just open such an app from the browser and participate in a voice or video chat with good sounding audio. Also for quite some time there is a pdf js project what is a pdf rendering engine written in java script. For a while this is available as a downloadable firefox extension. I haven't yet caught on this also but judging from the comments it is now going to be a part of firefox. For end user it means it is now possible to get pdf documents viewed directly in the browser. PDF JS uses HTML 5 features such as the canvas component. Such pdf documents rendered in Firefox are readable however navigation keys are not working like on the web. I can't say if this is because many PDF documents are not authored correctly or whether canvas accessibility is lacking or even something else.

Greetings

Peter