Re: [orca-list] Which distribution would you recommend to test orca master?

As of Fedora 19, no eyeballs are needed to do a complete installation.
It still requires a bit of flat review use, but I don't consider that to
be a major showstopper, or even a serious lack of accessibility. I can
access it, therefore I can use it, and I don't have to have working
eyeballs. Better yet, the installer for Fedora 20 should be even better
and easier to use, if I've been reading accurate information.

That being said, although Fedora will likely be easier for the average
user to install, I personally greatly prefer manual installation of Arch
with the help of the install scripts. It can actually take less time for
those who don't mind reading and adapting a couple of wiki documents and
doing things manually from the command line, and it is definitely much
more flexible than most graphical installers, giving full control of the
installation process. I have been able to do some rather unorthodox
things with the Arch install scripts that no graphical installer I have
tried has yet allowed me to do, such as making a complete install of
Arch Linux run from a thumb drive just as if it is running from a hard
drive. No persistent storage tricks, no unusable space, no read-only
filesystems; it's just like a hard drive installation in every way,
using compressed BTRFS with SSD optimizations and Grub. So I will
personally continue using the Arch install scripts over any other
installation program I have ever tried. However, this process is not for
everyone, which is why I recommended the fedora installer for users who
don't want to do things manually, or who just want to get the
installation done in a standard way with little difficulty.

Yes, if you don't mind the manual installation process, Arch is
definitely the best distro for testing Orca Master, because it stays
up-to-date much better than most other distros, and it's a rolling
release, which means you run regular updates rather than needing to
reinstall or upgrade the OS every 6 months or so. It's a little like
Debian unstable, but with less breakage and more up-to-date packages. Oh
yeah, and the Pacman package management system simply rocks, from
keeping a running system updated all the way to building new packages. I
haven't used any package management system that is faster, neither have
I used anything that makes it more easy to build custom packages, but
that is a discussion for another thread I think.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"