Re: [orca-list] Is Linux suitable for non-programmer/computer scientists?

James,

Get UBUNTU.  With command line you can do things in seconds that might take you a half hour with the zGUI (or Graphical User Interface - what you see that is non command line interface or CLI). I use both eindoes 7 and Arch Linux.  You might try BRIDGE LINUX which is Arch Linux but sometimes easier.  Then install pacmind and use it to install what you need.  At first you are going to be doing a lot of google searches, but Bridge Linux gives uou a working browser.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to partition your hard drive make three partitions of about equal size.  Mount the first as / the second as /home that way when you upgrade or change distros, you can do an install to / on first partition, /home on second, formatimg / but leaving /home NOT FORMATED.  That way all your home (personal files, documents, music remain.  Otherwise you will need to save your /home folders to backup drive or USB stick.

You can do anything you need and more with Linux, no crapware, no extra software to buy.

It is a no brainer.  But learn to use google and copy the command line commands and use them, you will find that even though they use strange commands they save you a ton of time.

David N1EA