But I am sure that a ppt file converted to pdf and then to text might not work well.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.
On 03/16/2013 02:08 AM, Al Sten-Clanton wrote:
It does some, though I don't know how much. The -layout option (or parameter or whatever) helped me get nice-looking copies of several documents, including a monstrous Intel manual. It was learning about this option that prompted my recent use of pdftotext, since earlier tries with it hadn't given me results I liked. I have no idea how well it would work with something that started out as a PowerPoint document, though.

Al

On 03/15/2013 04:15 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
Does pdftotext preserve layout elements? Things like tables and such?

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: Albert Sten-Clanton [mailto:albert e sten_clanton verizon net]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 1:53 PM
To: 'Alex Midence'; 'Krishnakant Mane'; 'Daniel Dalton'
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: RE: [orca-list] Powerpoint presentations

I've done well lately using pdftotext.  As far as I know, it is free
software. Sometimes the documents I convert with pdftotext read better than
the ones we create using Adobe on this Windows box.

If your comment is aimed more narrowly, at life in GUI land, then I'm not qualified to assess it. Or, let me know if I've misunderstood your meaning.

Al