Re: [orca-list] Need Help Getting my Speech Back

Well, I don't think it's folly to put Speakup on there as your screen
reader.  I just don't use speechdup.  I use espeakup and it works like a
lovely charm.  My current setup is:

OS:  Debian Wheezy
Console screen reader:  speakup w/ espeakup
Desktops:
* gnome 3.4.2 w/ Orca through speech dispatcher
* Emacs through emacspeak
Speech synthesizer:  E-speak
Sound output system:  Pure Alsa

If you'll notice, there's absolutely no two solutions that depend on the
same speech output servers with the exception of e-speak being the speech
synthesizer for all.  I've got gnome-speech with festival as a backup in
case speech dispatcher goes on the blink.  After that, all is just peachy.

I like having Speakup for console speech because, quite frankly, I like the
way it handles the command line more than how Orca does.  I also use this
Linux box as a web server primarily so I don't always have the desktop
system up and running.  I've got one on there and do use it on rare
occasions but, mostly, speakup and emacspeak are what I run on it when I am
physically in front of it or SSH through PUTTY on a Windows machine.

Regards,
Alex M

Alex M