Re: [orca-list] Need Help Getting my Speech Back

Hi, Thomas,

You must've had quite a time of it there. I remember when I had a similar problem back on a 10.04 installation. I resolved never ever to find myself in a situation where I might lose my speech. Here are the steps I took in case you find them helpful:

Overall philosophy: Do *not* have speech dispatcher as your one and only speech server. It breaks down, everything breaks down.

1. Install gnome-speech. I know it's deprecated but it's nice to have in a pinch. 2. Install Festival as a backup to e-speak and make it the default choice for gnome-speech. Again, not a good alternative to espeak as a primary but it's great when the chips are down adn you lose e-speak for some reason. 3. Install Emacspeak and get it working either with flite or espeak. If you lose speech in console or x, you need a talking shell of some kind. Emacs has a mode that you can use for that. 4. Install Yasr as a backup console screen reader. (not sure how workable that is these days. I haven't gotten it to work since Maverick.)

Anyway, you build redundancies upon redundancies. It may seem silly and a bit of overkill to you until you have it happen to you and the prospect of reinstallation is too painful to bear.

Glad to know you got her talking again.
Best regards,
Alex M